Thursday 18 September 2014

2010 VISION

     The Mongolian church has what they call 2010 vision:  by 2020 they want to see 10% of Mongolia discipled for Christ.  According to current statistics, they are at 2-3%.  This does not seem very hopeful, yet the church is still praying and striving towards this goal.
     This put my own complacency and apathy to shame.  Even in the face of great odds, they continue to pray and maintain their vision because they follow a God who also has a great vision and plan for this world.
     And God is at work here.  There is evidence of a Nestorian/Christian presence in North-west China as early as 600 A.D., though overall Christianity has had a slow start.  In the 1200s, when Kublai Khan ruled Mongolia, he called for Western missionaries to come evangelize his empire.  Unfortunately, few Christians came.   Much later, during the time of Communism, no churches existed in Mongolia except for several Russian Orthodox.
     Still, the good news has filtered in throughout the years.  Mule-train drivers stopped at Gladys Aylward's Inn of the Sixth Happiness and brought the stories they heard into Mongolia.  In 1990, the first Mongolian translation of the Bible arrived in Mongolia, and the Old Testament was completed some 10 years later.  Children are exposed to the gospel in schools like the one where I helped teach English for the past two days.  Not to mention the really neat fact that this school, which teaches the typical subjects as well as English, worldview, and character-building, was started by a Mongolian woman.  Once again, I am impressed by the initiative and vision of these people.

     As I think about this, I am reminded of Isaiah 26, which says "Let grace be shown to the wicked, yet he will not learn righteousness; in the land of uprightness he will deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the Lord."  The unbelieving do not see or appreciate the work of God that is taking place under their very noses.  They are blind and deaf to it!  Yet, "whoever is of God hears the words of God" (John 8:47).
     Help me to see with your eyes Lord Jesus, and develop better vision!... vision only to see and appreciate what you are doing, but also how I can take part in it.
I am so blessed by this opportunity to travel and see what God is doing around the world!  I hope that your vision will be expanded and developed through these updates too.  Again, thank you to everyone who is participating in this adventure with me through prayer and or/finances.  I have not yet raised the complete amount for my GlobeTREK expenses yet, so if you still want to donate and 'get some skin involved,' you are more than welcome too!  Also, if there are ways that I can pray for you, or if anything I've written challenges you or interests you, let me know as well!  My email is titus33sinnersaved@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment