Saturday 10 March 2012

WHO AM I?

     Who am I?  What a loaded question!  Right now in intercultural studies at university I am studying how people define themselves based on their culture, their language, and how they think other people define them.  It's funny to think that we don't even know ourselves fully!  Just like I find it almost comical how my body is performing all these high level, complex functions like blood screening and message transmission through neurons and regulating blood sugar levels (well, okay, as a type 1 diabetic, that is one function my body has given up as too complicated...).  Still, my body is doing all these amazing things, and yet I have to go to school to consciously learn about them!  It's like my body knows all this stuff because it is doing it, yet the knowledge isn't in my consciousness yet. 
     So how do I define myself?  Am I just the sum of my body processes?  Or do I define myself in relation to what I wear, what I know, what I do, and where I live?  Am I even the one who actually defines who I am?  Or does someone else define who I am--someone like the God who made me? 
As I was thinking about this, I came across a poem I wrote a while ago.  I would like to share it with you:

WHO AM I?
O Lord my God, who am I to see your face,
to presume upon your glorious grace?

Who am I, to be God's son,
to know the Lord--God three-in-one?

Who am I, who slapped His hand,
spat in His face, scorned His command?

Who am I but a sinner before Him?

So, who am I that the Father should love me,
the Son should redeem and the Spirit set free?
Me, unworthy, unloving, undeserving...
In Christ
who am I but a child of God
--by GRACE

1 comment:

  1. Yay - I'm so glad you are still writing poems :-) I love reading them, and this one is really good! ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete