Saturday 29 November 2014

LIFE and DEATH

     This week I had the opportunity to celebrate life and death!  And as a side-note, when I die, I want an African-style funeral!  This past week, I attended the funeral of a Zimbabwe woman, Gloria, at Jubilee Community Church.  The atmosphere was quiet, respectful, as people entered the church sanctuary.  As we sat, waiting for the service to begin, various people would lead out in singing a song and everyone's voices would swell in different harmonies, joining the acapella worship.  Once the service started, there was at time of preaching, and different people shared about her life or sang a special number.  The music was what really struck me with its beauty and joy!  Another thing that stood out to me was God.  Each new speaker greeted the congregation in the name of The Lord.  Heaven, and joy in sorrow, were predominant themes.  At the end, Gloria's brother came up to give 'thank yous', and he graciously thanked the people who contributed to the service, he thanked Gloria's husband for taking such good care of her when she was alive, and above all he thanked God for granting her to them for such a time and for His grace in her life.  When my time comes to die, I hope that God has also been such a part of my life that you can't help but mention Him at my death! :)
     As for life, today I joined in the celebration of a precious little girl's sixth birthday.  She is a bundle of joy, and yet so mature for her age--carefully unwrapping her presents without tearing the paper!   It is so exciting to think about what will all happen in her young life!  Apart from presents and playing card games, we all ate brunch together--pancakes and waffles.  Very delicious, and since some of the people in the house are on a Banting diet, they had even made some that I could eat (hurrah!).  I had never heard of the Banting diet before South Africa, but I was very happy about it today :)  Then, after the meal I made the unfortunate discovery that my age is the same whether I am dyslexic or not.  The rule was that those between 5 and 50 had to clean up the table.  Either way I look at my age, it is the same number :(  But many hands make light work and I was actually sorry when the place was spic and span again!  ... So then I went home and cleaned bathrooms because it was my turn, but that wasn't quite as thrilling.  Ah well, life might get monotonous without the grime as well as the sublime :)

No comments:

Post a Comment