Monday 24 November 2014

Things you learn...


- To cure mumps, place a pumpkin in your garden and pee on it every day for a week (I heard this when a patient came in with mumps to the Jubilee Health Centre)
- If a bird poops on you, you will have good luck (a young friend of mine shared this wisdom with me)
- Apparently the South African flower, the protea, is named after the Greek god, Proteus.  This flower comes in many varieties, similar to the multiple shapes this god could assume (from a tourist guide book.  Either this is true, or they were just having fun with gullible tourists :) )
- Always double check the exchange rate... especially if the deal seems to good to be true.  During my layover in Johannesburg on my way over from Abu Dhabi to Cape Town, I stopped at an airport store to buy some candy.  Thinking the exchange rate was $1 to R 100 (that was the exchange rate for Thai Baht!), I bought four rolls of mentos for R 99.   One dollar for four rolls sounded like a good deal to me... $10 for four rolls is a rip-off!!!!  Live and learn...  (this was obviously South Africans having fun with gullible tourists :) )
- Pratley Putty, invented by a South African, was used on board the Apollo 11 on its moon journey in 1969 as well as on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco to halt some cracks on one of the main supports..
- Don't let a bit of cold keep you from jumping in the pool!  Yesterday was 'Fun Day' at Jubilee, which means a picnic lunch with everyone at Westerford highschool where they set up a pool, a bubble run for the little kids, a soccer field, a volleyball net, and three big blow-up water slides.  At first I didn't want to get my swim-suit on because the day was fresh and a bit cloudy.  But I am so glad that I did!  It was a great day.  And... I STILL haven't experienced a South African sunburn yet!  Jec has had at least three during my time here :)



No comments:

Post a Comment